Thursday, February 15, 2018

Crossroad Story

Diego E. Ruiz Ruperto
Professor Cynthia Pittmann
Intermediate English 3103 -134
21 December 2017
Crossroad Story
A couple summers ago, 2014 to be exact, I went to a coding summer camp at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. This wasn't the first time that I would be some time staying at another place, with other people. One summer before, in 2012, I went to St. Petersburg, Florida with my brother to another camp. There we flew to the camp by ourselves from San Juan, Puerto Rico. This time we planned a trip for before the beginning of the camp with my family. But since I was by myself, I would be flying back to Puerto Rico by myself for the first time. The weeks of the camp passed and I had all the details in place regarding the flight. The last day of the camp there was a closing event so the relatives of the students could see the works, projects and what we learned in the camp and also fraternize. I was with the friends I made at the camp, and everything like it was supposed to be. A big surprise for me was to see my parents, brothers and paternal grandparents arriving there, completely unexpected! After the “shock” I went on to show them the works I made and all that I learned, something I didn't expect to be doing since I had no idea whatsoever of this. The day after this event, I left the camp (because it was over). After leaving, I didn't have much of an idea of what we would be doing next since I knew nothing about this. We went on to visit different places with a car we rented. We planned to visit different places and cities we had not been before and in the route we would see my cousin at Daytona, Florida. We were seven in the car, plus the luggage. So the ones who went on the back seat had to find a way to get comfy or something (haha). During the trip we moved a lot on the vehicle, we crossed from one state to another and doing that takes a couple of hours. At some point of our traveling time we decide to put our luggage in the racks of the car so we could be comfier inside.We stopped at some place, took out the luggage and put them in the racks. This was it, it was like going in a different car (haha), so we went on with the trip, now the car was more comfortable and the ride was even more pleasurable. This was like a “golden age”. After this time of glory, we encountered rain on our way to some place. Our luggage was getting wet and would get wetter if we didn't do something. We had to do something. We began to think on different ideas and it “hit”. We stopped by a store to buy some bags and we would put the luggage inside the bags. We prepared everything, put them back on the racks and continued our trip. During our traveling time, we suddenly feel a movement on the car. This was the moment. Our luggage flew from our car and into the street, we stopped by the highway to try and get them back for security and of course because our thing were there. My father and grandfather went back to look at where the luggage was and what was its status. Almost immediately a BIG truck hit the luggage and that was the last time we saw our luggage. After this, we had to add some stops to the trip like to a mall and different stores so we could buy clothes and other essentials that were inside the luggage. This changed our plans entirely since everybody needs certain things. After, we continued our trip and arrived to our final destination, the airport. And there I was, flying back to Puerto Rico, not with one of my brothers or my parents but with my parents, both brothers and my paternal grandparents. What was supposed to be a flight by myself was the most accompanied way it could be.

Works Cited

Pittmann, Cynthia. Narrative Essay on a crossroad experience. Class assignment UPRRP 29

December 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment